Sunday, March 20, 2011

Home and Away

So this blog is about not last week but the week before (I think). It feels like I have only just got here and like I've been here forever at the same time. It's been almost 4 weeks since I got here and the time has flown by - I guess I have packed a bit in. So...

Last week was a bit quieter for me. Bill was speaking at a Pastor's Conference at Lugala that Frank was running for all the pastors connected with their church. I have to admit I didn't make it to any of the sessions.

Also speaking at the conference were Julia and Isabelle. We met them when we arrived back from DRC. They were also staying at Lugala, there to do ministry with Frank and speak at the Pastor's Conference. They also were from Australia so there was quite a little gathering of us. Julia is a long term missionary (like 30 years in the field) and Isabelle was joining her for part of her ministry trip. Heading out on this missionary journey, it was so encouraging to meet someone who has been there and done it. Although we work in very different areas and ways, Julia was able to give me insights that I didn't have before about the joys and struggles of doing life this way.


So I spent my time enjoying the warm weather, reading a book (a fascinating book I bought called "The State of Africa" about the 50 or so years since independence) and generally relaxing, which I think I needed having been rushing around for months before that.

I met Edrin and a couple of other guys from around the place who were sitting around playing guitar and singing and I couldn't resist having a play and joining in with them. My kind of fun.


Hope, Bill, Florence (Hope and Penny's mum) and Penny
 I also met Hope and Penny. Hope was the first child sponsored through Australia HOPE International and  Bill and I went to visit her and her sister at school. They are both in Senior 4 (I think) and were so lovely and friendly. They showed us around the school and their dorms and it was amazing to see the difference long term sponsorship had made to their family.





During the week we also had a family rock up at Lugala to stay who were also from Australia, making it a home away from home! In fact the Crowes live only 5 mins away from where Bill lives. Jude and Tim and their kids Samuel (8) and Ella (6) were using Lugala as a stopping point on their way to Kasese in the west where Tim will be working voluntarily for a month (with bees). It was great to meet them and I think that as a family it will be a great adventure and who knows where it will lead.


 
As I had only visited one of the COME/HOPE schools I jumped at the opportunity to tag along with the Crowes on a visit to Masenafu, which for us at HOPE is our most finished school.









 





I also tagged along with Tim when Frank took him to the HOPE Medical Clinic. It is a beautiful building and has been landscaped and stands out. I can see that in the future when all it's building stages are finished it will be a great community asset and a focal point. Alongside the clinic is a chapel in which I got to see first hand some of the building techniques that are used here. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't meet Australian OH&S but they managed to do work that I'm sure in Australia we use machines to do.

Last but not least, I watched a movie called 'War Dance' which up until this point I had been avoiding. I am enjoying my history book because it is one step removed - it doesn't personalise the events. I knew however that this movie told the stories of children in the war affected northern part of Uganda and I didn't want to see it because too much of that stuff does my head in.

However, we watched it. And I encourage you if you are reading this to find a copy somewhere and watch it. It's an amazing movie, about amazing kids, and while I am here and hear stories like this all the time, I think everyone should see stuff like this to make themselves more aware of what is going on in the world. It is easy to forget or ignore that life isn't the same for all of us. Plus it has some brilliant scenes of African dancing and music that should be seen.

So have a great week, next instalment you'll find me in my current place of residence, Mbarara.

Be blessed,
bron










1 comment:

Bill Osborne said...

Great thanks Bron! You should be a journalist. If anyone wants to borrow 'War Dance' I have a copy, or, better still, they could plan a fundraiser movie night?
Bill