Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Being ordinary

 

I'm average. Just putting it out there. Going through school I was never the one to win awards. In my years of ballet lessons and piano exams, I was never the star student. I was average, middle of the road. Not a stand out.

Growing up I was always good at comparing myself to friends and classmates and coming up short. My conclusion was that, being average wasn't enough. I should be cooler, taller, better at sports, better at maths, better at talking to people I didn't know. I should work harder at school, at practicing piano, clarinet, ballet. I should be more like this person or that person because they were infinitely cooler, smarter, prettier (add any adjective comparing me to another person) than me.

I guess that somewhere along the way I lost that, following Jesus tends to have that effect. If the creator of the universe wants to hang out with me, then even if I am average, I become cool by association. Never mind the fact that if the creator of the universe wants to hang out with me, I don't even care anymore whether I'm cool or not.

But that's not really what I wanted to say. What I wanted to say is that I am ordinary. I'm no different from any other person on this planet. I don't have super powers and I'm not particularly courageous, adventurous or daring. And yet because I chose to come here to Uganda to stay, those are the type of things that people say about me. I am however, no more inspiring than the next person.

On the other hand, thinking about the people that inspire me, maybe it is ordinary people who are inspiring. I think of my friends and family. Most of them are far more inspiring to me and have more influence in my life than the most 'inspiring' of people I don't know. It is those that are close that challenge me to continue on. It is those that are close that I allow to speak into my life.

Then there are the ordinary people I meet here who I find incredibly inspiring. The single mother living in poverty who refuses to give up hope that her kids will get through their schooling while also instilling hope in them. The young boy who is taking the opportunity that sponsorship has given him through education and is topping his class in the hopes of gaining a scholarship which will give him entry to one of the best schools. The young family who sacrifice their own dreams and ambitions to look after and rehabilitate street kids. These are the people who I admire. These are the ones that inspire me to do what I am doing.

The thing is that what I am doing is inspiring to someone. But all I'm doing is following what God has called me to do. So whatever you are doing in this life, no matter how ordinary you are, it is the way you live your life that will determine whether you inspire someone else or not. And who knows? Maybe the person you encourage, smile at, give money to, have a chat with etc will go on to also inspire those around them.

I’m looking forward to going to two of our HOPE schools in Kamwenge district with one of our other Australia HOPE International partners this week. Tell you all about it next time.

Have an inspired, ordinary week.

Blessings,

bron

ps – here’s a few photos I promised from the latest wedding and also last weeks introduction (think engagement party on steroids!)

 

No comments: