Wednesday, December 7, 2011

For to us a child is born...

 

The people walking in darkness have seen a great light…

When I first arrived here in Uganda in February, while I was still in Kampala with Bill I bought a book from Aristoc, a bookstore in the city. The book is long. Almost seven hundred pages. And, despite being fairly easy to read, is heavy - as in the weight of it all is a burden on the soul. The book is entitled 'The State of Africa' and holds itself to the ambitious challenge of being a history of fifty years of independence in Africa.

image

I don't know how much you know about Africa, it's colonisation, subsequent various independence bids by various countries, tribal groups and religious groups and the post-colonial issues faced in many of these countries. And I don't claim to know anything on this subject myself, even less so now that I have read this book.

It's like hundreds of balls of wool have been tangled together in one colourful mess (let's assume for the sake of this analogy that colonisation is the tangling of these strands). This book describes the efforts of those outside and inside the mess to separate the strands for themselves.

At times during reading I have had to put the book down, filled with an unspeakable rage, made silent and still with fury, at other times I have wept for the avalanche of human tragedy that has happened in my lifetime that I have not known about, have remained benignly ignorant to.

I have been shocked to realise the West's involvement in many of these tragedies, many times going in thinking to be heroes and then cutting and running when they realise they are not. Or just going in because there is an asset, a resource that is in danger due to conflict. This beautiful continent and it's beautiful peoples reduced to pawns in a war between other nations greedy for the biggest spoils.

I love history and statistics so this book feeds both for me. It has also been eye opening. Once again I am shocked at how ignorant I am, especially where I thought I was not. How I thought that by keeping myself informed through mainstream media and blockbuster movies I would be well informed. Seeing images of hundreds of thousands of refugees streaming out of Rwanda and watching Hotel Rwanda, I realise now, has not amounted to any kind of understanding about the country and its politics. It has been a stark reminder that for every news story, there are a thousand more untold.

image

The book is confusing. Each militia group/ political party has an acronym much like that of it's rivals. Between the dictators, the 'big men', the corruption, the disease, the conflicts, I have finished the book with a sense of despair and hopelessness. Because out of the whole book, covering a small portion of each countries struggle to gain a sense of identity and have a voice in this world, the author was not able to come up with any success stories. Botswana and South Africa top the list in terms of economic success, with Botswana being named the least corrupt of all African nations. However both countries have an appallingly high rate of HIV/AIDS, some current statistics show that the percentage of adults (age 15-49) infected with HIV in South Africa is 18%, that's almost one fifth of the reproductive part of the population, while for the same demographic in Botswana the statistic is 25%.

In the face of such overwhelming famine, disease, corruption and ethnic, religious and political conflict, it's a wonder that anyone is able to stand in the face of it. The weight of it all is crushing. Like a black hole wanting to suck you in, it feels like the more you explore it the more of a hold it has on you.

And this is why I am thankful for Jesus.

In the midst of this pain and suffering, I know that it is only by my faith in him and his grace towards me that I can stand. That I can love, that I can laugh, that I have peace and joy. When it all had a hold on me, he reminded me of a few verses in Isaiah which restored my perspective and renewed my hope.

The people walking in darkness have seen a great light; on those living in the land of the shadow of death a light has dawned. Isaiah 9:2

For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

Of the increase of his government and peace there will be no end. He will reign on David's throne and over his kingdom, establishing and upholding it with justice and righteousness from that time on and forever. The zeal of the LORD Almighty will accomplish this. Isaiah 9:6-7

This fulfilled the prophecy of Isaiah concerning him:

"Look at my Servant, whom I have chosen. He is my Beloved, who pleases me. I will put my Spirit upon him, and he will proclaim justice to the nations. He will not fight or shout or raise his voice in public. He will not crush the weakest reed or put out a flickering candle. Finally he will cause justice to be victorious. And his name will be the hope of all the world." Matthew 12:18-21

When all I see is injustice and hopelessness, I am reminded that I have chosen to believe in a God who is justice and who brings hope. And that he has called me to be part of that. Just as he is my light in the darkness, he has called me to be a light also. It's humbling and exciting and it's why I'm here. Volunteering for Australia HOPE International.

In this beautifully messy ball of wool.

Have a blessed week

bron

ps - did you know that this week both Egypt and DRC have had presidential elections? Will watch to see what happens in both countries with interest.

No comments: