Wednesday, November 7, 2012

A rose by any other name…

After more than a year in the country you would think I would be used to some things by now. Like the name thing. It doesn't matter how many times I explain I still don’t think many people here understand why when I introduce myself I use only Bron and when others know my last name, why they can't call me Lang. Don't get me wrong, I know that there are certain situations where last names are used i.e. on the sports field (with some kind of addition like Langy) or if you are a teacher. But as a general rule if you want to know my name, I give you the one that people call me, not the whole thing.

I guess it goes the other way too because names here are still a profound mystery to me. Many people here have three names, which is not unusual to my way of thinking, but many of them can be called by any of their three names. Which is why when I was signing up for my new modem the other day, I suddenly became Claire. I didn't bother correcting the guy, I'm sure he would have looked at me blankly, it wouldn't make sense to him that the only time Claire has ever been added to my name has been when I am in trouble or filling out official forms and then only when in the middle of my other two names.

I'm grateful (although not convinced it was the best thing to do) to missionaries who came and introduced the practice of Christian names. Which means that a large percentage of people have an English sounding name in amongst the others. So when I ask for their name I try really hard to hear that one. Although I often still have to ask several times before I'm sure I've got the right one.

My friends here gave me the name Kemigisha (meaning one who has many blessings) so sometimes I now get introduced by that name or Kemigisha Bron. Including last weekend at a wedding where I ended up in the front row with the important guests even though I didn't really know the bride and groom. One of those situations that have me feeling like I want to sink through the floor and escape but no one here really notices.

In many tourist spots around the place you can find t-shirts with the slogan 'My name is not Muzungu!' and if you have spent even a day here you will know why. Any white skinned person (which can include many of the Indian and Chinese community living here if they are deemed light skinned enough) is called out to by children, boda drivers and the less reserved of the general public, with either a greeting of "How are you, Muzungu?" or simply "Muzungu! Muzungu!". As muzungu means white person the greeting can be a little offensive if you keep thinking the same way you would in Australia (there are many chances to be offended here because being called old or fat is quite common too). But you learn to just let it roll over you (although I did give my friend a talking to the other day when he referred to me as muzungu even though he knows my name very well) and greet them back.

DSCF1018

I take solace in the fact that even if no one here knows me or my name I am known by One who does.

O Israel, the one who formed you says, "Do not be afraid, for I have ransomed you. I have called you by name; you are mine. Isaiah 43:1 Bible

The gatekeeper opens the gate for him, and the sheep recognize his voice and come to him. He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. John 10:3 Bible

And I also get a kick out of the fact that two kids I know refer to all bazungu as Bron. Although a muzungu by any other name is still a muzungu.

DSCF0751IMAG0248

Beauty putting a ‘hat’ on Gilbert who thinks that all bazungu are called Bron and arm wrestling with Dan who also tells his mum when he sees a white person “Look! There’s Bron.”

Have a blessed week

bron

No comments: