Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Never 4 get

Sometimes I feel like a fraud. Never more so than when I am sitting at a function as the guest of honour. Don't get me wrong, it is an honour to be there, but the honour is all mine. I feel grateful to be part of Australia HOPE International and to have the opportunity to represent them both here and in Australia is an immense privilege. But there are times that responsibility sits uncomfortably, like when I am called upon as the guest of honour to make speeches, or attend graduation ceremonies for people I have never met before.

Also the weight feels heavy when I realise that the students who are graduating from our HOPE Primary Schools, may not continue with their studies. That we as an organisation can only help them (at this stage) get so far. It is our desire, our dream, our prayer, to build Secondary and Vocational Schools and even someday Universities where students who currently attend our Primary Schools will be able to continue their education. But for now, my prayer as I addressed the Kibogo HOPE Nursery and Primary School, P7 Class of 2012, is that somehow, their parents will find the funds to allow them at least a few years of Secondary schooling, particularly for the girls whose educational level will determine the future of Uganda.

DSCF1010DSCF1048

While the statistics suggest that somewhere between 50-75% of students in Uganda will finish Primary School, the enrolment for Secondary is around 20%. And that is the reason HOPE wishes to invest in higher education.

In the last two weeks I have now attended three such functions and while they can be a gruelling experience, as they tend to run on the longish side and generally involve a lot of speeches that aren't in English, I found that I mostly enjoyed the opportunity to celebrate with these students who have already overcome many obstacles to finish their primary schooling.

DSCF1034DSCF1014DSCF1017

Let me leave you with an excerpt of the Kibogo P7 Class Teacher's speech.

"I take this opportunity to thank all of you for the concern for your school as shown by todays attendance. Your decision of holding this day to coincide with the coming of our beloved Guest of honour (Miss Brone) from Australia is a clear testimony of how you appreciate our efforts. I also thank Miss Brone for accepting to be the Guest of honour for todays occasion…

May I thank our sponsors in absentia through the Guest of honour for all their support to the school in terms of ideas and finance, without which management would have been very difficult if not impossible; because so much of the funds used to run the school are contributed by these people. May I say thank you and keep it up."

DSCF0998

Never 4 get P7 of 2012

Be blessed

bron

No comments: