Friday, March 29, 2013

Love nailed to a cross

There's no doubt about it, Aussies are awesome.

Just hearing the familiar accent gives me comfort. And last weekend I got to chill with a bunch of them.

Besides Danielle who is staying with me, we had a group of new and old friends come to Mbarara and spent a few brief moments showing them around town. Bonnie, who is doing a uni placement in Mbale in Eastern Uganda, had three of her siblings come to visit her and they all popped down here to have a look.

Even in a very short amount of time we managed to have an adventure with the boys having to push our van out of the mud we were stuck in.

boys pushing car

Despite the brevity of their stay it was such fun and such a blessing to hang out together and I was totally stoked by the pressie they left, a sacrificial gift of Tim Tams and Cadbury's Easter Eggs.

IMAG0323

Which reminds me. It's Easter this weekend coming. If all goes according to plan, Danielle and I will actually be facilitating a teacher seminar in Nakivale Refugee Settlement on Friday and Saturday. It seems the sanctity of the public holiday is lost here and even among Christians, the day is not viewed in quite the same way as I'm used to.

There will be no hot cross buns, there are no Easter eggs in the stores and I doubt the kids have ever heard of an Easter bunny. But even though they may not celebrate Easter like me, this country, with its high proportion of Christians, certainly knows what Easter is about.

As a Christian, the reflection and celebration of Easter is like a drop in the ocean. My life doesn't rest upon one weekend of reflection. My life revolves around this one event where Jesus saw me in all my weakness, humanness and sin, and gave his life in exchange for mine. This is the very core of who I am, what I believe and the catalyst for change in my life.

So this weekend I'll take the opportunity, whatever it is I end up doing, to reflect on the goodness and kindness of my Saviour, enjoy some chocolate eggs from home and continue to daily be thankful for his faithfulness, love and mercy towards me.

Blessings

Bron

Ps - plans are made to be changed. Danielle and I will now enjoy a quiet Easter here in Mbarara.

No comments: