Tuesday, April 9, 2013

On the subject of stars…

...I'm a fan of Vincent. Not that I'm an expert and I don't know all his stuff, but there are paintings like The Starry Night that whenever I see them make me happy. Wrapped up in memories and relationships, this particular painting brings me close to people I love.

...I can't tell you exactly when it happened but somewhere, sometime, I fell in love with the song 'Dream a Little Dream of Me'. Those words, "Stars shining bright above you, night breezes seem to whisper 'I love you'…" evoke emotions, a phrase and a melody magically transporting me to another time and place. And well, what song with whistling wouldn't make you smile?

...'Do everything without complaining or arguing, so that you may be innocent and pure as God's perfect children, who live in a world of corrupt and sinful people. You must shine among them like stars lighting up the sky, as you offer them the message of life.' Philippians 2:14-16

Sometimes the easiest approach is to complain. Or argue. It seems like here, where culture often determines a worldview that is decidedly different from my own, I want to argue more. Because I know I'm right. And because my point of view deserves to be heard. And because you should want to know what I think.

Living with another Australian has reminded me of how different I am. That I do share common understanding with others in this world. And that generally speaking, those people are not here in Uganda.

While expressing my opinion is okay, I've chosen to be here so at times that just means sucking it up and keeping quiet. Choosing over and over again to think of things positively. Not letting what I'm thinking always come out my mouth. And consciously changing what I think, or at least being open to it.

So armed with this message of life, uncluttered by arguments or complaints, toward God and toward others, I am in the process of becoming a pinprick of light, shining in darkness, bringing hope and relief.

Also shining like a star is my friend Bright who has had every reason to complain. Life in the last year has been tough but he is finding the strength to keep looking forward and now has a new leg to stand on.

DSCF2506

…and when the battle is won, you will still be standing. Ephesians 6:13

Have a blessed week

bron

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nicely said Bron, that song as lived in your heart for a long time... Continue with strength my friend x Kathii