Tuesday, October 2, 2012

You are so fat

Conversation I had the other day that went a little something like this:

Ugandan: You are getting so fat!

Me: Not really, in fact since I've arrived back I've lost weight.

Ugandan: Oh! Sorry for that.

It still amazes me sometimes the difference in our cultures, even though I already know this. I have come across this sentiment many times already and I still feel the need to explain and defend myself against the compliment I am being given. I don't have an issue with my weight or body image but the simple fact is that I have lost weight since coming back to Uganda. Not through any effort on my part, just a lack of excessively processed, quick to cook or buy, foods. And sometimes a walk into town. And so because I have lost weight, my friend was sorry for me.

DSCF0388

Me scoffing cake in Bunia, DRC recently, trying to ‘fatten up’.

What a different world this is that I am living in!

Blessings

bron

P.S. My amazing friend, HOPE Partner and part of my family here in Uganda, Pastor Willy Tumwine, is in South Australia for almost five weeks and if you would like to catch him speaking his schedule is below (contact through the website for more details).

 

30th Sept

10am

Murray Bridge Christian Family Centre

30th Sept 2pm

Hills Christian Family Centre, Nairne

7th Oct 10am Mt Gambier
14th Oct 10am

Southern Gateway Community Church, Victor Harbor

14th Oct 6pm

NOVA, Murray Bridge Christian Family Centre

21st Oct 10am
6pm

Coast and Vines, Willunga

28th Oct 9am
11am

Seaton Christian Family Centre

28th Oct 3pm Australia HOPE International AGM, Murray Bridge Christian Family Centre

No comments: